Looking to buy a domain name for cheap? You’re not alone.
There are hundreds of people just like you, searching for the perfect domain name that won’t break the bank.
You probably have a lot of questions like where do I start or how much is it going to cost?
We’ve got you covered. We’re going to help you buy a domain name, plus some tips to get it for free.
Before You Buy a Domain Name
Before you begin your search for a website domain, you should know a few things about domains in general.
Before you choose a domain, consider the following tips from the experts over here at Nameboy:
- Keep it simple: For example, don’t use hyphens and double letters because it’s easier for people to remember.
- Keep it short: Shorter names are easier to remember and to type, which means people are more likely to find you. Shoot for 1-3 words.
- Make it brandable: When you use your brand as a domain, it builds awareness and connection with your website visitors.
- Choose a .com domain extension: A .com is the most well-known domain name extension in the world. We recommend it’s your first choice.
For more, check out the ultimate guide on domain names.
Now that you’re learning about domain names and how important they are for your website, it’s time to find out how to get one for yourself.
Ready to follow the steps to register your domain name? Let’s go!
Step 1: Run a Domain Name Search
First, you’ll need to search for a domain name. The good news is that there are tools to help with this.
If you don’t have a domain name picked out yet, it’s time to run an official domain name search.
You can use a tool like the domain name generator at Nameboy to help. This tool will check the domain name availability instantly.
Enter your domain name or keyword into the domain name generator and hit submit.
Nameboy then pairs your keywords to common prefixes and suffixes to find suggestions for your domain name.
You’ll see a list of available domains and extensions. The generator also offers suggestions similar to the keyword you submitted.
Next, you will choose your domain name extension.
A domain name extension or TLD is the end of your website URL. For instance, a .com or a .net. And you have choices!
There are different extensions for different websites to choose from. The most common top level domain is the Generic TLD, it’s a subdomain that consists of the three letters at the end of your website URL.
Now that you are learning about the different domain name extensions, here are the most common:
- .com (commercial): This is the most popular and recommended extension because it’s the most trusted by web users.
- .net (network): This TLD is used for networking websites and is common. This domain extension is used as an alternate to .com.
- .org (organizational): A .org website is best used for not-for-profit organizations or donation websites. For example, charitable organizations use .org.
- .edu (education): This TLD is used by colleges and educational communities. For instance, the website for the University of Michigan is umich.edu.
- .co (corporations): The .co TLD is used for companies, corporations, or commercial ventures, like a start-up. Many new brands have begun to build their websites on a .co.
Again, we recommend using a .com for your website extension because it’s the most well-known domain name extension in the world.
Here is a bit more on subdomains for your website.
The next step is to find a domain registrar for your domain name.
Step 2: Find a Domain Registrar
A domain registrar is a company that allows you to purchase and register domain names.
When you buy a domain name registrar, you’re looking to spend $14.99 per year with website hosting plans starting at $7.99 per month. It can add up.
We can help! Bluehost is offering a free domain name, SSL Certificate, and 60% discount on web hosting.
Bluehost is one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world. They host more than 2 million websites and are officially recommended by WordPress.
They make it easy to set up your free domain name too.
And you can also check out some of the best domain registrars for more choices.
Let’s set up your free domain name!
Step 3: Register Your Domain Name
The final step is to set up your free domain name.
To get started, head over to Bluehost and click on the ‘Get Started Now’ button.
This will bring you to Bluehost’s plan page, which will show you the plans available.
You’ll see what each plan offers. Choose the right plan for you and click “select”.
Next, you’ll see where to set up your new domain.
Type the domain name in the “Create a new domain” box for the free domain offer.
This will take you to the Package Extras page for additional information.
There are additional add-ons to choose from. Here are a few to consider:
- CodeGuard Basic to automatically backup or restore your website.
- Bluehost SEO Tools to help with better website rankings.
- SSL certificate options for single domains or premium SSL certificates.
- SiteLock Security Essential for additional website scanning and automatic malware removal.
Also, consider your renewal fees. Your domain is a yearly expense, and some registrars will increase the cost when your subscription renews.
Once purchased, you’ll get an activation email from Bluehost.
Those are the three steps to register your domain name. You are officially ready for your free website domain.
Ready to Register Your Domain Name?
You’re all set to register a domain name for free now that you’ve learned a few things.
We learned a little about domain names and the steps it takes to get a free one.
Be sure to take advantage of Bluehost’s free domain name and let us know if you need any help with other domain names!
Now you can buy a domain name confidently. You got this!